“What if I will fail again?”
When
I failed in our second exam, the aforementioned statement lingered in my mind
from time to time amidst preparing for our next exam. I honestly battled such
“what if” with “what should” because I led to believe that passing the next
exam was a must! Why?
Such
pressure I intentionally put up in myself was rooted to my Love Life. I felt there was a need to prove something.
I felt I should pass because if and only if I will not make it, people will
point their finger unto my relationship.
Unfortunately, I failed yet again.
When
the result was posted and I had a glance to my ID number with a score far from
the passing rate, I grabbed my sister’s hand and immediately left the halls of
the school. I walked as fast as I could, yelling to her to be quick in moving. All
that encircled my mind was to run away, to dissolve, and to cry in seclusion.
I
spent the whole night soaking in pain. I channeled into reading
feel-good-verses but nothing made sense. I was so down to the point of
complaining as to where God was. The next morning, it felt the same. It was as
if I was looking for someone who did not want to be found, just like in a
hide-and-seek game.
Then
something came up. It was relayed to me that somebody uttered the very words I
hated to hear; hence, the self-built pressure. “Ano na nangyayari kay jc? Nag-aaral pa ba yan siya o baka date na lang
ng date?”
Yes,
that was unnerving. I could just flare-up in anger but I knew I had to come into terms with it, as silent as possible.
Stripped
with charm and wit, I chose to converse with my boyfriend in my desire for
comfort, for uplifting words…an endearment for that matter. But what came
across was beyond my comprehension.
He
threw the question “What was your prayer? What did you ask?” I awkwardly
whispered, “I don’t know.” He then asked me to complete the sentence, “Lord,
please pass me in my exam so that…” Right at that moment, tears clouded my eyes
because I knew I prayed with a wrong motive. I asked for wrong reason.
“You trusted your own ability. You pressured
yourself too much that you forgot you have a God. You know what, we are but
filthy rags before God. You cannot hide anything from Him because He is bare.
Re-examine yourself and know the root of your behavior.”
That
was a hard slap to my face!
I
bolded the word “rooted” because I thought it was just patterned to that. I
thought! It was so easy to pinpoint on things or even people that I became
oblivious of checking the content of my heart---a heart full of pride! A heart
seeking for approval! A heart trying to please people!
If I
may quote a significant story in the Bible, it would be the story of David when
he committed the sin of adultery with Bathsheeba. He tried to conceal his
mistake but God rebuked him through Nathan.
In
one way or another, there will be that Nathan in our lives who comes at the
most unexpected time to reveal whatever we had done in secret. As for me, it
was he. That was not the first time he confronted me with my attitude. In fact,
he already pinpointed that I am dominant, prideful, stubborn, and has the
tendency to compromise and make haphazard decisions. Harsh but true! A reality
I need to face.
Like
David, I messed up. It was a shame. I even felt nauseated with my attitude
because I failed not just in the eyes of people. More importantly, I failed
in the eyes of God. But like David, I wanted to desire the same. I happened to
find this verse amidst prepping up for the exam and now, it made a real sense
to me.
“One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do
I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life; to
gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.” Psalm 27:4
David
slew giant, conquered nations, and ruled as a king. However, in reading each
word between the lines, his quest was not for his glory but to dwindle the gap
between God’s heart and his.
His
desire was not of gain but of loss. He did not dream of something grand. He
just asked for one seemingly minute thing. And undoubtedly, in choosing to lose
himself in the presence of God, he gained a name engraved from generation to
generation.
Now,
what if the secret to big things comes in obedience to small things?
In
few days, I will be leaving for yet another month-long community immersion as
part of our curriculum. If there’s something I need to carry, it will be this
one hard question:
Just
as David being a man after God’s heart,
Photo taken at Cathedral, Zamboanga City
A portray of crown with thorns for Holy Week

Comments
Post a Comment