Skip to main content

Where God is amidst failures

They say that failures do not define a person. While it holds true, which I believe myself, however when face with one failure after the other, when everything just turns upside down, its sting of pain permeates to your core and leaves you nothing but feeling of inadequacy.

As I look back from the past three years of my journey in the medical school, I have to face the gut-honest realization that in one way or another failures made me feel inadequate and incapable, which frequently and unintentionally displayed even in an ordinary “PBL” class wherein I talked with low pitch shaky voice, and somewhat pushed me to settle being at the bottom, the least, and the last.

How does one prepare for the unknown?

Countless times I wished I had a glimpse of what was coming, that God would just allow a huge turn in my academic life. Growing up, it was seemingly glorious from a worldly perspective. I had number of successes that failure was almost not in the picture.

Then I hit the medical school. Only one semester was spared from taking remedial exams. The rest jumbled in one or two remedial exams and down on the last semester prior clerkship, I had taken the exams for all subjects twice, which led to a delay of two weeks from hospital duties. Not only that, even for the post-clerkship exam, while everyone was posting their “hoorays,” I was still at the waiting list wondering if I could still move on to the next level.

Having all of those experiences, I must admit that it quite affected my identity. Inasmuch as I wanted to spit out the idea of being not good enough, it came into my terms that doubt seemed to be a constant company. Indeed, cliché as it may sound, the struggle was real.

...Selah...

Where does God stand amidst failures?

Now, this portion clouds my eyes with tears. Let me just say this right away, thank you Jesus! I could remember a classmate randomly told me “Jc, I am actually amazed that you did not get depressed because if that happened to me, I could hardly imagine.” Oh! God knows my own share of silent depression. He knows each drop of tear for nights I wished that God would just take the cup from me.

Failures revealed so much of my heart. What were long been hidden: pride, arrogance, entitlement, and fame to name some. What I could easily lean on to. What I hardly surrendered. What I thought would not be shaken. And what was unshakable.

Amidst my failures, I had the truest sense of what the Bible says “Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed for the battle is not yours but God’s.” (2 Chronicles 20:15) Quitting came across my mind countless times. For somebody like me who repeatedly at the bottom, the least and the last, quitting seems to be the easiest way. I was closed to let go of such dream, such calling that had long been planted in my heart. But God, in His great and unsearchable plan I cannot fully known, brought me through one failure after the other. I literally just stood firm and gazed on the deliverance He gave to me. Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretched like me!

Every so often, I would hear people telling me how strong I was but what I had come to realize was that failure is not about becoming a stronger person but about trusting a stronger God. When I go to Him weak, I come away strengthened. When I go doubting, I come away believing. When I go mourning, I come away rejoicing. God has His own way of unbending my bent knees. 

...Selah...

Jesus said, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.” (John 9:3) Thank you Jesus for making me understand it from such hard, almost impossible ground. That truly Your most extraordinary work is built on the ground of failure.

And here I am writing this at the outskirts for our 10 months community engagement. I am now a 4th year medical student and soon to graduate by God’s grace and be a physician all for His greater glory alone. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fixing the eyes

So their midnight conversation ended with an exchange of "good night." And there my heart, broken into shattered pieces. In an instant. At the most untimely time.  I didn't know where on this world had I drawn the courage to endure reading as each message kept on popping up as they recalled their past when I could have just closed my laptop right away so as not to let the piercing pain get through.  But I silently endured it up to their very last words while my heart was ruthlessly ripped away leaving it to smithereens.  I could have just flare-up in anger because silence was not my nature. To keep my mouth shut was never my kind. But, right at that moment, that voice, though a whisper compared to my slam-bang clatter, was a crystal clear I ought not to resist.  I knew it was God who tamed my waiting-to-explode emotions. He compelled me to be silent. To pour such dark cloud of despair to Him, even up to the rising of sun.  So what happen...

Mountain lessons

2 lessons Mt. Talinis imparted to me: 1. It pays to LOOK BACK When the whole group reached the outpost after 4 hours of hiking up and down, over rocks, across streams and swamps, they decided to settle there. However, Me and my classmate (bro Kyle Windsor) thought of attempting to continue the trail and hike all the way up to have a glimpse of the lake and eventually summit Mt. Talinis. Compared to what we've gone through from the bottom to outpost, the trail from that point to up was far difficult and challenging because the path gets too tricky. Your moves have to be cautioned according to the ascending climb and indeed it was no easy feat. My body especially my legs begun to ache. That was the time when the seemingly competition was between me and the one inside my head. "I'm not going to make it. I'm not strong enough." On the way up, it was so easy to give in to these anxiety demons and just stop the whole track. How I have overcome the mental chorus...

Ripple effect

Sometimes, all it takes is a heart that does not measure But only knows how to willingly give. That way, perhaps, The world can hear a perfect symphony of peace. Sometimes, all it takes is a mind that does not settle at boundaries But courageously dives into the deep waters, plunging into it, And discovering real treasures only found in the littlest of things. That way, perhaps, The world can know simplicity. Sometimes, all it takes is an eye that does not judge But rather looks behind the physical that reveals a humble beauty ready to sprinkle the light that will shine above the rest. That way, perhaps, The world can realize how beautifully created it was. Sometimes, all it takes is an ear that does not just hear But earnestly listens to what the lips plead. That way, perhaps, The world can withstand pain. Sometimes, all it takes is a mouth that does not carelessly reject And unwittingly use the most scathing words But rather speaks for...