Skip to main content

Love above fear

At the most unexpected time last month, amidst the hustle-bustle of being in the medical school, somebody boldly laid his intentions in pursuing me.

But this is not about the details of who he is and how it started. Neither is it about the real score between him and me. This is about how that opening-of-door for him paved the way in unlocking the window of a relationship beyond important than anything. That is my relationship with my father.

Looking through the lens of the past, a single mistake of getting into a wrong relationship resulted to a broken trust. Yes, in between the seven years, our relationship was neither hot nor cold. Most of the time, it was just silent. I could vividly remember how tears had fallen from his eyes, wordlessly begging to stop my stubbornness yet I did not. I pursued. My own pains rooted from the scathing words I received from him blinded me. An insensible pride indeed. It was only when I met a fatal accident that I was able to recognize the weight of what I have done.

From then onwards, even the smallest mistake was seemingly grand. I patiently endured even though there were times it could get into my nerves making me numb. Perhaps, the height of a certain gap between us was when I took that leap of faith and became a born-again Christian. As expected, it was not a smooth-sailing journey. The whole family was affected. Every nasty circumstance was patterned to my “conversion.” In as much as I did not want to see them hurting, deep within my heart, I was sure my faith was changed. I was convinced I was beautifully changed however a work in progress. When I hit the rock bottom, that’s when I learned to look up! During those times when I could not take one more step, God gave me enough to keep me going. When everything seemed bleak, He made the way for me.

Nonetheless, I made a vow that my next relationship would be a relationship not hidden. My parents should know it first before anyone else. They have to be involved even at the courtship stage. I courageously opened up with my mom and I was relieved of her positive response. The truth of the matter was that she was supposed to be the one who will reveal it to my dad since we both knew how my dad could possibly go into an outburst of anger. When I was informed that my dad would have a seminar to Davao, for an unknown reason, I was burdened by the thought of telling it personally to him. I prayed about it. Then came last Saturday. I decided not to join in our Bible study so I could spend some time with my dad just before he will go back home to Tawi-Tawi. I toured him around the newly opened mall in the city. We killed the time by eating good food, exchanging stories, capturing selfies, buying groceries, and etc. At that time, I lost the courage and chose not to tell him because we were just so happy I could not let it be ruined. He brought me to the dormitory and bid farewell. While curling up in my bed, I was typing my “thank you” message and sent it to him. However, I was still baffled. I could not resist the urge so I composed myself by telling him that I just want to be honest with him and to gain his trust in me, which I failed to do before. Shortly before I sent the message, I uttered the words “In Jesus’ Name.” Roughly about 30 minutes after, he replied with “Ok. Just be sure to finish your dream.” Right at that moment, I felt my heart pumped hard and fast. What encircled my mind was “That’s my dad. My first major fear.” Little did I expect, tears started to cover my eyes as flashbacks of the past began to move like timeline around my mind. What dominated within me was the idea that I REDEEMED HIS TRUST IN ME AFTER THE LONGEST TIME. The HAPPINESS was not on the freedom of meeting somebody but it was and still is about the RENEWED RELATIONSHIP I earnestly yearned and prayed for more than half a decade.

Verily, God works behind the scene and God reveals a beautiful scene. Just before this love month ends, I became a witness of how real this verse is. GOD IS LOVE. Happy Valentine's!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fixing the eyes

So their midnight conversation ended with an exchange of "good night." And there my heart, broken into shattered pieces. In an instant. At the most untimely time.  I didn't know where on this world had I drawn the courage to endure reading as each message kept on popping up as they recalled their past when I could have just closed my laptop right away so as not to let the piercing pain get through.  But I silently endured it up to their very last words while my heart was ruthlessly ripped away leaving it to smithereens.  I could have just flare-up in anger because silence was not my nature. To keep my mouth shut was never my kind. But, right at that moment, that voice, though a whisper compared to my slam-bang clatter, was a crystal clear I ought not to resist.  I knew it was God who tamed my waiting-to-explode emotions. He compelled me to be silent. To pour such dark cloud of despair to Him, even up to the rising of sun.  So what happen...

Mountain lessons

2 lessons Mt. Talinis imparted to me: 1. It pays to LOOK BACK When the whole group reached the outpost after 4 hours of hiking up and down, over rocks, across streams and swamps, they decided to settle there. However, Me and my classmate (bro Kyle Windsor) thought of attempting to continue the trail and hike all the way up to have a glimpse of the lake and eventually summit Mt. Talinis. Compared to what we've gone through from the bottom to outpost, the trail from that point to up was far difficult and challenging because the path gets too tricky. Your moves have to be cautioned according to the ascending climb and indeed it was no easy feat. My body especially my legs begun to ache. That was the time when the seemingly competition was between me and the one inside my head. "I'm not going to make it. I'm not strong enough." On the way up, it was so easy to give in to these anxiety demons and just stop the whole track. How I have overcome the mental chorus...

Ripple effect

Sometimes, all it takes is a heart that does not measure But only knows how to willingly give. That way, perhaps, The world can hear a perfect symphony of peace. Sometimes, all it takes is a mind that does not settle at boundaries But courageously dives into the deep waters, plunging into it, And discovering real treasures only found in the littlest of things. That way, perhaps, The world can know simplicity. Sometimes, all it takes is an eye that does not judge But rather looks behind the physical that reveals a humble beauty ready to sprinkle the light that will shine above the rest. That way, perhaps, The world can realize how beautifully created it was. Sometimes, all it takes is an ear that does not just hear But earnestly listens to what the lips plead. That way, perhaps, The world can withstand pain. Sometimes, all it takes is a mouth that does not carelessly reject And unwittingly use the most scathing words But rather speaks for...