Skip to main content

When it is between you and God

I moved to my chair as the exam was about to start when all of a sudden, my heart pumped as hard as it could. Yes, it was a no-surprise attack ever since I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. In as much as I did not want to panic, my heart pumped as if it was in a fourth gear. My chest started to get tight and heavy. My skin became cold and clammy. Despite the air-conditioned room, I perspired profusely. My classmates turned to me, asking if what was wrong but I was already devoid of words. All I could think about was to leave the room and so I did. While the exam pursued, I was outside the room, sitting upright on a vacant chair enduring its pain while conserving my energy because the only thought that crossed my mind was to take the exam no matter what. Failure to take it will mean an automatic remedial.

With every beat, I whispered my prayer “Lord, calm my heart. Not now.” Deep within the recesses of my being, I knew that when it prolongs, it might cause my heart to stop from beating. Every second passed tantamount to an increase in my anxiety and little did I expect, tears begun to cover my eyes…

It has been one topsy-turvy week prior to that exam. A week when I found the courage to cut a string that has been unknowingly attached. A week when I decided that I have wondered enough on what could have been, that tears had fallen enough for such confusion I never wanted to be in. A week when I have relished the peace and freedom of obedience and absolute surrender only to end up with yet another confusion all because a door, which I chose to close, was unexpectedly re-opened for the very reason I was left unguarded with a chance of tears time and again. Words painfully spoken. Questions carefully thrown. And I, I had to curl up in my bed once more, to be swallowed up by my own scars, to sulk, to unload my tired heart.

If there is anything I learned in that week, it is that sometimes even if it seems like a sham for other people, when God compels you to do it, something real can still rise above because it is between you and God.

1. Choose to obey. Obedience, for that matter, is an all or nothing proposal. I cannot obey in one thing yet disobey in another thing. Even in the littlest of thing, God desires to be the Lord of it. Verily, following Him will cost me something but not following Him will cost me more than something. After all, it is His grace that enabled me to do His calling.

2. Trust in God’s plan. Trust will not just magically happen. As for me, it is a daily thing. For that week, I had to utter my doubts, my fears, and even my fierce. That was my way of channeling and that was His way of bringing a supernatural rest to my soul, allowing me to experience His freedom.

3. God is the author of peace. Yes, He brings peace and not confusion. I spent nights wrestling with God in prayer. That wrestle brought me a sense of peace, a sense of sweetness in our relationship like never before. He revealed to me that sometimes, it is alright to wrestle with Him because it opens a door for change, a change of heart. I have come to that stage of blessing --- a stage where I know God has revealed Himself to me, a stage where I can walk forward in confidence that He is in control.

4. God knows I cannot be perfect. “What if I am wrong? What if I miss God?” I came to that point of questioning. But what God revealed to me was “If you miss me, I’ll find you.” He knows I cannot be perfect but I can press toward the mark of perfection because of Jesus. No matter how many times I make mistake, be it in hidden or not, He sees me through because He is not just my God, He is my Father. As a Father, He is more than willing to love me when I feel a little less loved. He is just asking me to call upon Him, trusting Him to take the lead. No ifs. No buts. Despite of. Regardless.

5. Safeguard what you have with God. Just like in earthly relationships, to safeguard means to be prepared to stand firm, to fight, to protect, to trust, to obey, and to endure. More than that, it is to put Him first. That week was a testing at the same time surrendering. Testing like putting me in a boiling water to see if what I claim I do I will. Surrendering by realizing that if it is beyond my capability, that’s when it becomes so easy to embrace absolute surrender.

Amidst failure, my real security is in You alone my God, my Father.



P.S. In case you’ll happen to read this, I genuinely thank you for revealing this content. And I forgive you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fixing the eyes

So their midnight conversation ended with an exchange of "good night." And there my heart, broken into shattered pieces. In an instant. At the most untimely time.  I didn't know where on this world had I drawn the courage to endure reading as each message kept on popping up as they recalled their past when I could have just closed my laptop right away so as not to let the piercing pain get through.  But I silently endured it up to their very last words while my heart was ruthlessly ripped away leaving it to smithereens.  I could have just flare-up in anger because silence was not my nature. To keep my mouth shut was never my kind. But, right at that moment, that voice, though a whisper compared to my slam-bang clatter, was a crystal clear I ought not to resist.  I knew it was God who tamed my waiting-to-explode emotions. He compelled me to be silent. To pour such dark cloud of despair to Him, even up to the rising of sun.  So what happen...

Mountain lessons

2 lessons Mt. Talinis imparted to me: 1. It pays to LOOK BACK When the whole group reached the outpost after 4 hours of hiking up and down, over rocks, across streams and swamps, they decided to settle there. However, Me and my classmate (bro Kyle Windsor) thought of attempting to continue the trail and hike all the way up to have a glimpse of the lake and eventually summit Mt. Talinis. Compared to what we've gone through from the bottom to outpost, the trail from that point to up was far difficult and challenging because the path gets too tricky. Your moves have to be cautioned according to the ascending climb and indeed it was no easy feat. My body especially my legs begun to ache. That was the time when the seemingly competition was between me and the one inside my head. "I'm not going to make it. I'm not strong enough." On the way up, it was so easy to give in to these anxiety demons and just stop the whole track. How I have overcome the mental chorus...

Ripple effect

Sometimes, all it takes is a heart that does not measure But only knows how to willingly give. That way, perhaps, The world can hear a perfect symphony of peace. Sometimes, all it takes is a mind that does not settle at boundaries But courageously dives into the deep waters, plunging into it, And discovering real treasures only found in the littlest of things. That way, perhaps, The world can know simplicity. Sometimes, all it takes is an eye that does not judge But rather looks behind the physical that reveals a humble beauty ready to sprinkle the light that will shine above the rest. That way, perhaps, The world can realize how beautifully created it was. Sometimes, all it takes is an ear that does not just hear But earnestly listens to what the lips plead. That way, perhaps, The world can withstand pain. Sometimes, all it takes is a mouth that does not carelessly reject And unwittingly use the most scathing words But rather speaks for...