Skip to main content

Immeasurably More

I moved in for closer look at the empty room. With the round tables tucked in red cloth and bond papers placed atop, the echo of excitement and joy bouncing back the walls was all I could hear from my expectant heart—expectant that He would do Immeasurably More.

Leap of faith was the exact picture of the over-all 52 delegates from our school to the National Christian Medical Conference named Heartbeat and Advanced Leadership Training. This conference was a gathering of medical students from different medical schools all over the Philippines, in which medical doctors of the Philippine Medical Ministry spearheaded it. Considering the registration fee and round trip tickets for each delegate, it was impossible for us, the core leaders of our school ministry, to raise such huge amount. In fact, we arrived at Manila knowing our funds would not suffice. Hence, the leap of faith!

Weeks prior the aforementioned event, it was my personal declaration to God that we would be able to raise the needed amount and not only that, we would extend blessing to other in-need delegates. Lo and behold, God had proven Himself Sovereign over money! Let me narrate the detail of this shortly.

The night before the event, all the last-minute pledges came in and to our surprise, we arrived at the last digit of the total registration fee. For this reason, we no longer needed “sponsorship.” Came third day of the event, in the morning, I sat on the table of Cebu delegates. As we were chitchatting, I asked them if they would still proceed with the Advanced Leadership Training. All of them said no because they did not have the means to pay for such. Immediately, I encouraged them to stay since our school would not need any more of “sponsorship” thus, they could ask for the slots. In the afternoon, while I was at the back seat of the car with another delegate from Ilo-Ilo as we were heading to University of the East Ramon Magsaysay for our campus evangelism, I just randomly shared to her the situation of the Cebu delegates. Little did I know, the one in-charge of the registration was listening to us in the front seat. She told me that she would endorse the concern. In the evening, awestruck of God’s orchestration, they were all sponsored in an instant.

The very reason for this recount was to show that God was more than able to complete and even extend His blessings. He is the Fountain and the Source behind floodgates of heaven. What is humanly impossible is always Divinely possible. If it is His will, it is His bill.

Meanwhile, let me jump into my Personal Grace. I would call it as personal because it was a first-hand experience of another side of His amazing grace.

“Move hearts”—two words I earnestly prayed before, during, and even after the whole event. On the first day, my mind was set that I would be a participant. Clueless, I just moved around the room until Doc Cheng, the program head, called me that I would be a facilitator for both small group discussions and campus evangelism. Caught off guard, my heart shifted into its full gear and the moment I sat with the other doctors who would also be facilitating, listening on how passionate they were in doing things that have “eternal reward,” everything sunk deep into my heart…what a Grace to behold indeed!

One session after the other, on our small group discussions composed of other medical students, each story shared was a faith-boost for me. Not only did I have my own set of learning and realizations, I was in awe of each spoken praise and worship to God from them. Truly, God is in the business of creating a masterpiece in the lives of His children for His greater glory.

On our campus evangelism, we ministered on two set of groups—college students and medical doctors. The former was a group of 60 medical technology students at UERM. What our group expected was only 30 students. However, God allowed doubling the number. Despite of the unforeseen shortage of materials, the group was able to find immediate ways and still finished with so much joy in our hearts as we witnessed how a number of students prayed, and even relayed their desire to be plugged to a small group bible study. On the other hand, the latter was a group of clerks, interns, residents, and consultants. It was the special group as Doc Cheng mentioned. When all the facilitators gathered for evaluation, Doc Cheng asked for volunteer to minster to them. Upon hearing it, a certain jolt pounded my heart forcing to break open my mouth and so I volunteered my group. All that encircled my mind at that moment was a rare opportunity to witness how God could move hearts. Thankfully, my group showed the same enthusiasm and true enough, we became witnesses of His wondrous ways. Shortly after our evangelism, one consultant challenged the clerks, interns, and residents to give importance to their Spiritual life and even extended her desire to jumpstart a ministry at National Children’s Hospital.

The Advanced Leadership Training began. The training was intended for the leaders of each medical school, to fan the burning passion in attaining the Vision 51/20—to reach out all medical schools in the Philippines through discipleship by the Year 2020. On the last day, it was beyond my imagination that something was yet to unfold for me. Doc GJ, the emcee for the entire training, asked for a female who could follow-up a medical student from FEU who was present only on the last day. At that time, I was on the table with other delegates when my classmate pointed me to Doc GJ. Without hesitation, I went to her, shared my testimony, ministered to her about the assurance of her Salvation in Jesus, and prayed for her. When she shared her brief story and tears started to puddle in her eyes, I exchanged whisper to God in my mind…”who am I Father to witness all these things?”

Finally, if I were to encapsulate in one sentence the bottom line of my learning from the 7-day Heartbeat and ALT 2017, it is that “Being fruitful is just an outflow of being intimate with God.”

I witnessed the fruit of LOVE. When the first time goers from our school testified about the transforming Grace of the Lord, how each of them committed to the ministry.

I witnessed the fruit of JOY. When my teammates in the praise and worship were so willing to stay up to midnight to practice and still managed to wake up early the next day for yet another 6am-9pm session.

I witnessed the fruit of PEACE. When all the delegates from different medical schools were united in one vision and that is to make Jesus known in the medical field. Be it to doctors, nurses, patients, or watchers.

I witnessed the fruit of PATIENCE. When some of the delegates I happened to encounter shared to me that they failed and would repeat a year yet they still concluded with the Truth that all things work for the good of those who love Him. That they will not stop in partaking in the advancement of God’s Kingdom.

I witnessed the fruit of FAITHFULNESS. When few women confessed to me how God became personal to them and calling them to obey about their current relationships.

The chief end of bearing fruit is not for our own sake or for the benefit of others. It is, utmost, for the glory of God. He wills to display and magnify His magnificence and that starts on our inward devotion to Him.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5

TO GOD BE ALL THE GLORY!



The Cross on Commitment Night


"We are Christians who happened to be medical doctors."
-Dr. Fortunato "Khryss" Cristobal, pioneer of the Medical Ministry in the Philippines


Campus Evangelism 1 (medical technology students at University of the East Ramon Magsaysay)


Campus Evangelism 2 (consultants, residents, interns, and clerks at National Children's Hospital)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fixing the eyes

So their midnight conversation ended with an exchange of "good night." And there my heart, broken into shattered pieces. In an instant. At the most untimely time.  I didn't know where on this world had I drawn the courage to endure reading as each message kept on popping up as they recalled their past when I could have just closed my laptop right away so as not to let the piercing pain get through.  But I silently endured it up to their very last words while my heart was ruthlessly ripped away leaving it to smithereens.  I could have just flare-up in anger because silence was not my nature. To keep my mouth shut was never my kind. But, right at that moment, that voice, though a whisper compared to my slam-bang clatter, was a crystal clear I ought not to resist.  I knew it was God who tamed my waiting-to-explode emotions. He compelled me to be silent. To pour such dark cloud of despair to Him, even up to the rising of sun.  So what happen...

Mountain lessons

2 lessons Mt. Talinis imparted to me: 1. It pays to LOOK BACK When the whole group reached the outpost after 4 hours of hiking up and down, over rocks, across streams and swamps, they decided to settle there. However, Me and my classmate (bro Kyle Windsor) thought of attempting to continue the trail and hike all the way up to have a glimpse of the lake and eventually summit Mt. Talinis. Compared to what we've gone through from the bottom to outpost, the trail from that point to up was far difficult and challenging because the path gets too tricky. Your moves have to be cautioned according to the ascending climb and indeed it was no easy feat. My body especially my legs begun to ache. That was the time when the seemingly competition was between me and the one inside my head. "I'm not going to make it. I'm not strong enough." On the way up, it was so easy to give in to these anxiety demons and just stop the whole track. How I have overcome the mental chorus...

Ripple effect

Sometimes, all it takes is a heart that does not measure But only knows how to willingly give. That way, perhaps, The world can hear a perfect symphony of peace. Sometimes, all it takes is a mind that does not settle at boundaries But courageously dives into the deep waters, plunging into it, And discovering real treasures only found in the littlest of things. That way, perhaps, The world can know simplicity. Sometimes, all it takes is an eye that does not judge But rather looks behind the physical that reveals a humble beauty ready to sprinkle the light that will shine above the rest. That way, perhaps, The world can realize how beautifully created it was. Sometimes, all it takes is an ear that does not just hear But earnestly listens to what the lips plead. That way, perhaps, The world can withstand pain. Sometimes, all it takes is a mouth that does not carelessly reject And unwittingly use the most scathing words But rather speaks for...