This is a story of stolen happiness yet uncovered grace. Thanks
ahead for patiently reading a quite lengthy note.
June 27, 2014 – at around 6:15 in the evening, I received a
flood of text messages confirming that Silliman
University landed top 1 in the top performing schools of May 2014 Nurse
Licensure Examination. Right there and then, I fell on my knees. The sob
seemingly exploded from within while I grasped my phone. My whole body was
trembling. My heart was filled with overwhelming joy I could not contain. It
was surreal. I was jumping and shouting. All I thought of was “This
is You, Jesus! This is Yours, Lord! You’ve proven Yourself to all of us!” Then my sister showed me my name in the
internet. I was devoid of words when I took a glance of this: 5053 GONZALES, CHRISTINE JOY YBIOSA. I
just continued crying while grinning cheerfully. Few minutes later, I decided
to go to a church and prayed. There I knelt down and wept tremendously. “Thank you Lord” was all I whispered in
my mind and from the deepest of my soul. I didn’t deserve anything, I knew. In
reality, I doubted Him too many times. Amidst review classes, I kept on telling
my friends that I really believe for a 100% passing rate. Though we seemed not
capable of doing it but we have a God who is more than able. That His Faithfulness in us is what matters
and in truth the only weapon that we have in overcoming the board exam.
However, fear actually situated in my heart, along with that repeated
declaration. Yes, I had my own share of fears and doubts. As a matter of fact,
there was one night that I broke down in tears because fear almost consumed me.
Thank God He revived me through this truth: “Claim
your victory not out of arrogance but out of a sure faith that is founded in
Christ Jesus.” (thanks to ate Rianne for reminding me this during that
night)
When we came home, I was surprised by my three beloved
friends (tj, dann, and shein) who stood at the gate of our house. They were
shouting, teasing, laughing at me, and gave me a huge hug. The whole time I
felt I was floating. I gazed up the night sky and I breathed in and out and
mumbled, “A perfect night with the stars
shining bright. A perfect bliss. A perfect God.” We went inside the house
and did our usual chit-chat. Afterwards, we dealt with a conclusion of buying
pizza to celebrate. I told my sister to text our cousins to go to the house.
Upon heading back home at around 8:30, this terrible thing unfolded yet again…
Around 10 to 15 meters away from the intersection road, I
cued for the turning signal. I slowed down, making sure of a clear far distance
from the approaching vehicles on the other lane. When I turned the steering
wheel to the left, in a split second I heard a loud “bang.” A motorcycle hit the left edge of the car, throwing the
driver and his motorcycle at a distance of 30 meters away from the actual
incident where the collision happened (as per police’s estimation). I
immediately parked the car and the five of us went out. The moment I took the
first step out of the car, literally and seriously speaking, darkness was right
before my very eyes. The bystanders were like shadows looking, rushing, and
talking. My whole body trembled as if frosting in coldest temperature. All I
heard was a voice repeatedly saying to me, “either
dead or unconscious… dead or unconscious.” I was like in a desolated place
where I stood alone while people starred with a long fixed cold gaze. I could
barely walk straight to the site to check for the driver. Each step equalized a
long pause in the entirety of the earth’s spin in the outer space. I’ve seen
two motorcycles turned down and damaged. The first was of the driver’s while
the second was of the household’s near the incident. In my mind I was shouting “Lord, di ko to kaya please.” When I
finally reached there, I found the driver consciously sitting at the road,
grimacing because of pain. He incurred abrasions on his right arm and left
foot. I immediately rushed back to the car in attempting to bring the driver to
the hospital. But, the people out there told me to settle down and that an
ambulance was being called and the policemen were coming over to have a detailed
assessment of the incident. Soon afterward, I began sobbing and weeping intensely.
Neither my sister nor my friends could stop me at that time. I closed my eyes
and all I could see was a flashback of the past.
For those who haven’t known my
story yet, five years ago, to be exact July 9, 2009, I was actually at the same
situation of the driver. I met a terrible vehicular accident that almost caused
my life to be taken. All I could remember was I cranked the engine of the
motorcycle and I opened my eyes and found myself in the ICU. The details of the
accident were lost in my memory and somehow I was thankful for that.
Accordingly, right after I fell off the road, I was unconscious. I was brought
to the hospital and the bad news was revealed. I was 50-50. My head was severely
injured and an internal hemorrhage was figured out through CT scan. Because of
this, I had to undergo an emergency surgery which is Craniectomy wherein the
right portion of my skull has to be removed. To cut the story short, I survived
the surgery.
However, the aftermath I had to
face after surviving the tragic accident, the reality of its side effects was
really unnerving. Yes, I was wounded physically but more so of the fact that I
was wounded emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. I had to stop from school and
that meant being left behind. I had to endure the blank stare of the people
around me because of my physical appearance: the
bald-unproportional-head-with-C-shaped-scar-bony-dark girl. I had to be
depedent because I was too weak to do anything. I had to go through the
loneliness of being alone in the house. Above all, I had to go through this
painful assessment of some people about me– karma. Apart from that, I had to overcome the
bereavement because of the untimely death of my brother 7 months prior to my accident.
Lastly, not to mention that of the diagnoses I received last year: Mitral Valve
Prolapse which caused me frequent chest pains and palpitations of around 300 to
400 beats per minute and Bilateral Fibroadenoma (benign tumors) in my breasts.
Yet somehow, I was able to get by.
“Why
Lord? Why?” – Tj wrapped me around his arms. Nica, shein,
dann and the people around me repeated to me that it was not my fault. That
they have seen what happened and I should not blame myself. Never!
Unfortunately, their words could not consume me. The only thought baffled my
mind at that time was those three words bolded. In desperation, I actually
asked the same question five years ago. It unleashed the unknown anger I never
knew existed before. What had started out as happy and fun night became a
complicated entanglement of frustration and disappointment, only to end up
abruptly with myself painfully wounded in the inside yet again. I felt my testimony
was taken away from me and that the devil’s
timing worked again in me. The pain was so intense that it ruthlessly
squeezed my heart and eventually torn it apart. Truthfully, I’ve let go of my
hold to Him at that moment, in an
instant.
The policemen came over and I was brought to the police station.
My body was in a state of numbness. I could not speak. Few minutes after, I was
released and went home. My sister, relatives, and friends were the ones who
settled the dispute between the two parties.
Inside my room, I stared blankly. My cousin Irish was with me. She
asked me “ano iniisip mo ate?” I broke the deafening silence in my room and I
started shedding seemingly endless tears in front of her. I told her that the
scars of the past were like bleeding again. I was supposed to reach the finish
line yet I stumbled again. Or have I reached it but I unfortunately fell off. It
should have been my testimony that I’ve not gotten the wrong way as far as I believe.
Ironically, it was stolen from me! I told her that I do not really believe that
trials are from God. For me, it’s the devil’s work of making people question
the presence of God. Intentionally or not, I did question Him. The devil should have been laughing at me because
I was shaken time and again.
Out of nowhere, she responded “don’t
you think te nung nakita mo yung driver na buhay at nasugatan lang kahit
tumilapon siya ng ganun kalayo nasave ka pa rin ni God?” Boom! My mind was
blown away by this 16 year old girl. That’s exactly what I need to hear. That’s
exactly what I should be reminded of. Even the most difficult circumstance, God
can actually use it for His greater glory. Yes, I was not able to comprehend
and understand the whole situation but that did not mean He was not in control.
I was so quick in giving in to the doubts and questions being thrown by the
devil but just before I doubted and questioned Him, He was actually working
through. On the other hand, He was so immediate in answering my question and
that’s through my cousin’s simple words. I really cried to this realization. God actually demonstrated a miracle out
there! All glory to Him!
The night ended with a peaceful resolution of all the disputes
between the two parties. My aunties told me that I should not worry because there’s
no need of money to be given away for the damages incurred because it has been
proven that the 19 year old driver was really on high speed and had taken the
wrong direction during the incident and mostly for the fact that he just
incurred minor injuries despite the impact of the collision. Papang called up
and told me that I should not worry too about the car because it’s insured. My
heart was as if untangled from becoming twisted.
As of the moment, I must admit that I was left with a trauma. I
rested from driving for a while. However, the trauma was not really of the
driving per se but more so of the realistic notion of “messing up and stumbling down again.” I will be fooling around if
I say I am ok but soon I know I will through His amazing grace. The courage
that made conquered my past will be the same courage that will get me through
this. I may not be as happy because of the awful circumstance continuously
haunting me but my heart will not be hindered from bringing all the glory,
praises, and thanks to Him. He alone deserves it!
To my FAMILY, RELATIVES,
AND FRIENDS, I could not really put into words how grateful and thankful I
am for putting up with me through the years. Soon, I vow to return to you the
act of love and kindness you‘ve shown me which is beyond what I deserve. You’ve
taken a big part in the total sum of my triumphs and trials. I will unceasingly
pray to God to pour out favors upon favors and blessings upon blessings to all
of you.
To my BATCHMATES who
really did an awesome job, CONGRATULATIONS!
I’m a proud friend here. Now, we will embark on a new and perhaps separate
journey towards making ourselves even better individuals. But so long we have
the advantage of these networking sites and our cellphones, we are never too
far from each other. Thank you for such wonderful friendship. The rough and
tough, the nerve-wracking exams and paperworks, the sleeping at the most
ungodly of hours, the laughter, the tears, the hang-outs, every single moment I
have with you from little to grand, they will forever be indelible in my heart.
If there’s one thing I will leave to you, it’s this: “Sometimes, being extraordinary does not necessarily mean
being the most successful of all. It is simply being an ordinary person whose
heart does not reside on craving of having a luxurious life as white-collared
career man or woman with a box stuck with figures but a heart that desires to
help out random people.” Count on me in prayers nurses! God bless us as we
venture out this life’s awestruck wonders.
Finally, this may not be as strong and relevant testimony. I wrote
this with all the feebleness found in me. But I am fixing my eyes to Jesus who
is the author and perfecter of faith (Hebrews 12:2). It may not be easily
understood what He compels me to do, but I’ll do it anyway. How could I not? He
already proven Himself not just in the recent accident or the NLE or that thing
five years ago or my whole life in general but
when He had taken my place, our place at the cross. The greatest love of all!
“May my life become a song
Depicting His greatness over all
Let this wimpy be heard
Inspiring others through His word”
Lamentations 3: 19-23
I remember my affliction and my
wandering,
the bitterness and the gall.
I well remember them,
and my soul is downcast within me.
Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

Comments
Post a Comment